The Coke Works

 


 

Derwenthaugh coking plant was opened in 1926 and despite providing work for many local people, was a blot on the landscape of the Derwent valley for more than 50 years. After it's demolition, a Swedish company conducted toxicology testing on the site and the subsequent report indicated that over 25 different highly toxic elements were present in the soil and River Derwent - arsenic, mercury and lead being just a few. The area has now been cleaned up (if that is possible) and now hosts Swalwell Cricket Club, Swalwell Juniors FC and Blaydon Tennis Club.

The  photographs video at right show part of the demolition work.

 

(Photos courtesy of Alan Cook)

(courtesy of Alan Cook)

   
   
   
   
   

 


 

 

SUPPORT A VERY WORTHY CAUSE

BACK TO TOP

 

Copyright 2001-2013 David Newton